17 July 2007

Tom Waits Bacteria

Ok. So when I was like 19 years old, I worked at a restaurant downtown called 'Louie's'. I was a dishwasher. I was actually the worst dishwasher who has ever donned an apron. The other dishwashers used to look at me in disgust. I was terrible.

Anyway, I remember this one day. It was the morning after a bad storm that had knocked out electricity across the city. Our freezers had gone down, and so the dishwashers and the mop-guy were given the job of ridding them of hundreds of pounds of bad fish, chicken, etc.

Long story short: I'm out there by myself, 7AM on a beautiful Sunday morning carrying a forty-pound trash bag full of dead shrimp out to the dumpster. I'm the first to admit that I'm not the most muscular guy in the world (and was even worse off at 19 years old). I get the bag over my head and propped on the edge of the dumpster when the bottom of the bag falls out and I'm covered with stanky jumbos.

Anyhow, I post this video because had the sound come out of the dumpster that Waits describes, I could right then and there have truly died a happy man.

No comments: